December 7, 2022 – The U.S. Equestrian Federation has announced the athletes named to the 2023 Eventing Elite Program. The aim of the eventing elite program is to identify and support combinations with demonstrated medal-winning potential at the next World Championships or Olympic Games, and provide them with the best possible preparation to represent the United States.
The following combinations have met the objective criteria as outlined in the Eventing Elite Program Task Force (EEPTF) Recommendations for membership to the 2023 USEF Eventing Elite Program, in alphabetical order:
• Will Coleman (Gordonsville, Virginia) and Off The Record, a 13-year-old Irish Sport Horse gelding owned by the Off The Record Syndicate
• Phillip Dutton (West Grove, Pennsylvania) and Z, a 14-year-old Zangersheide gelding owned by Evie Dutton, Ann Jones, Suzanne Lazy, Caroline Moran, Thomas Tierney and David and Patricia Vos
• Ariel Grald (Southern Pines, North Carolina) and Leamore Master Plan, a 13-year-old Irish Sport Horse gelding owned by Annie Eldridge
• Boyd Martin (Cochranville, Pennsylvania) and Fedarman B, a 12-year-old Dutch Warmblood gelding owned by the Annie Goodwin Syndicate
• Lauren Nicholson (The Plains, Virginia) and Vermiculus, a 15-year-old Anglo-Arabian owned by Jaqueline Mars
• Doug Payne (Rougemont, North Carolina) and Quantum Leap, an 11-year-old Rheinlander gelding owned by Doug and Jess Payne
• Tamie Smith (Murrieta, California) and Mai Baum, a 16-year-old German Sport Horse gelding owned by Alexandra Ahearn, Ellen Ahearn and Eric Markell; Danito, a 13-year-old Hanoverian gelding owned by Ruth Bley; and Solaguayre California, an 11-year-old Hanoverian mare owned by Julianne and David Guarigila
Membership is reviewed twice annually, and combinations may be added on a rolling basis based upon the criteria specific to each program. The updated Elite Program List will be published mid-year.